- A RCP with a currently active certificate may decide to obtain an “inactive” registration status. Current regulations state that a RCP certificate may remain on an inactive status for no longer than 5 years.
- Prior to requesting the change to an inactive status, please read the relevant board rule, Tex. Admin. Code, Sec. 140.209(g), regarding the inactive RCP certificate status.
- To be eligible for inactive status, the permit holder must have a current registration permit and have a certificate in good standing.
- If you have not already completed the criminal history background check, please see the criminal history information and fingerprint instructions available at: http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/page/Renewal-RCPmain
The following restrictions apply to RCPs whose permits are on inactive status:
- may not perform any activities regulated under the RCP regulations;
- practice as a respiratory care practitioner in any capacity for compensation or as a volunteer is prohibited;
- may not use the title respiratory care practitioner while on inactive status; and
- the permit holder must pay an annual renewal fee as set out in rule – currently $25.00.
To request a change to the Inactive status for a Texas Respiratory Care Practitioner certificate, complete and return the inactive request form (link below) to the Board for approval before the expiration date of the current certificate. Refunds of registration/renewal fees already paid cannot be made.
Because this form must be received by our office before the expiration date of the current certificate, completed and bearing original signatures, as well as bearing an original seal of notary public, it cannot be faxed back to our office.
Once you are on the inactive status, you will receive a hard copy inactive renewal form each year to maintain your inactive status.
- Please note that the fingerprint criminal history background check will be required prior to your first Inactive renewal, if it has not already been completed prior to that time.
To return to an active status, please contact the Registration Department and request an RCP Re-Activation packet (includes a renewal form and CE requirements).
If you have any questions, please contact the Registration Department at Registrations@tmb.state.tx.us .