Senate Bill 202 transferred four occupational regulatory programs from the Department of State Health Services (DSHS) to the Texas Medical Board (TMB). Medical Physicists, Medical Radiologic Technologists, Perfusionists, and Respiratory Care Practitioners will now be regulated by the TMB and each occupation’s respective board/advisory committee.
Due to building-wide electrical maintenance, there was a service outage starting at 5:00PM on Friday, Feb. 19 through 8:00AM on Monday, Feb 22. During this period many TMB online services, including License Application, Registration/Renewal and “Look Up a License” were unavailable.
Previously, if your DSHS permit expired in December, January or February, you were given until the end of February, to complete your renewal/registration.
Due to the service outage mentioned above, DSHS transfer permits that were set to expire in December, January or February have been extended again, and you now have through March 31, 2016 to complete renewal/registration (including fingerprint results) with the TMB before your license becomes delinquent. Your TMB permit expiration date has been updated to reflect this extension.
No further expiration date extensions will be given.
Verifications are available online here.
The TMB began processing the registration/renewal of existing licenses on January 4, 2016.
- If you have an existing license or permit that was issued through DSHS and need to request an upgrade, you will need to submit a new application, using the online system located in the Licensing section of our website.
- Current rules for these occupational programs will continue to be in effect until amended by TMB, as directed by S.B. 202.
- Please keep checking our website for updates and additional information regarding the transition of this registration process.
- As part of the transition of this renewal process, new renewal forms have been created, including new questions. In addition, renewals not done online when an online option is available will have an additional processing fee (see “Additional Reg Fees” below), and fingerprinting will be required prior to the submission of a registration (see “Fingerprints” below). As such, DSHS hardcopy forms will not be accepted for registration (renewal) at the TMB.
- Information on continuing education is available at CE for Perfusionists.
CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECKS:
- Criminal history background checks through the Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are required for all current licensees and permit holders. TMB has begun the process of fingerprinting existing licensees and notifications regarding this process will go out to all those effected by this change in early 2016.
- The fingerprint background check will be required prior to the completion of your initial TMB registration/renewal, per the new statutory requirement set out in Texas Occupations Code, Sec 603.3031.
Note that the fingerprint results will not be REQUIRED until your renewal. Reminders of the fingerprint requirement will be included in the renewal notice sent out 90 days prior to your current expiration date.
- A Board issued 6 digit ID number* is required for submitting your fingerprints. This 6 digit ID number is normally assigned at the time of application submission. For those who hold an existing permit, you will not be assigned a TMB 6 digit ID number until the transition of data from DSHS is complete. To expedite the processing of your results, please use the following general 6 digit ID “777777” to begin the fingerprint process.
- Please note that the criminal history results can take 4-6 weeks for processing. Instructions getting your finger prints done are listed below under the tab “Fingerprints”.
- As results can take weeks to receive, we encourage you to being this process as soon as possible.
- Per Federal regulations we are not able to access fingerprint results that were submitted to another agency. If you have been previously fingerprinted for another license or by another agency, we apologize for the inconvenience; however you will still be required to submit the fingerprint criminal history background prior to your initial registration/renewal at the TMB.
NEW REGISTRATION (RENEWAL) PROCESS
Existing license/permit expiration dates beyond March 31, 2016, will be honored, however no extensions will be provided at this time. Renewals will also continue to be done biennially.
- Registration/renewal through TMB will be completed on a different schedule than DSHS, with all permits expiring during specific set times of year (as opposed to expiring in the permit holder’s birth month). Moving forward perfusionist licensees will expire once a year, on August 31.
- As part of the transition from DSHS to TMB, existing perfusionist licenses will have their first registration with TMB per the existing permit expiration date. The renewal fee charged at the time of the first renewal with TMB will be pro-rated to bring the permits in line with the new expiration dates.
- For example, perfusionist licenses that expire in December, or January of 2016 will be pro-rated to renew through August 2017, and licenses that expire in February, March, April or May of 2016 will be pro-rated to renew through August 2018.
- For those licensees who have recently been issued or renewed with DSHS, it may be approximately two years before you are due to register/renew with the TMB.
- As part of this transition, some existing license and permit numbers will be reformatted to fit TMB requirements.