The Two-Stage Process: Pre-Licensure and Licensing
Stage 1 - Pre-Licensure
- Look for an email from us with your LIST username and password the first working day after you apply.
- Submit the items listed under the Lacking Reasons tab in LIST. These are the items we expect you to submit or complete, based on your application.
- Use LIST to track receipt of the items.
- In most cases, additional items will be required later. Don’t worry! That’s expected. We just want to make sure you have the basics first.
During pre-licensure the documentation requested is based on the standard requirements for licensure and information provided with the application. Please note documents are not reviewed for content during the pre-licensure stage and additional information may be required once an application has been moved to licensure.
If you need to change the license type for an application already submitted, Please contact Board staff through the LIST portal to request an update. LIST is available via the following link: https://list.tmb.state.tx.us/Default.aspx. If you are unable to log in, please contact Board staff at (512) 305-7030 or at Screen-CIC@tmb.state.tx.us for assistance.
Stage 2 - Licensing
- You’ve submitted all of the documents required for your application in Pre-Licensure.
- Your application has been assigned to a licensing analyst.
- Keep checking LIST. Your licensing analyst will post requests for additional items in the Lacking Reasons section.
Individual application processing time will vary based on the complexity of the application. The processing time clock begins when the applicant has submitted all initial documents and has moved to the licensure stage. Factors that increase the processing time are answering “yes” to any of the Professionalism questions on the application and failing to follow instructions when submitting documentation. However, failing to answer application questions truthfully may be considered falsification of your application, will increase the processing time of your application, and could result in punitive action by the Board.
The average time to complete an application once it reached the Licensure stage was 41 days in FY 17.
- Congratulations! You are ready to be licensed!
- A temporary license will be issued if you requested one.
- Regular licenses are issued twice a month.
- Register your license. You will receive a postcard within 2 weeks of being licensed, with registration instructions.
Important Things to Know!
- Completing Stage 1 (Pre-Licensure) does not mean you are eligible for licensure. Only after you complete Stage 2 (Licensing) are you ready to be licensed.
- Visit LIST, as often as you can, to check the status of your application and communicate with your Licensing Analyst.
- An application fee may be refunded under certain circumstances. Other surcharges and fees assessed at the time of application are non-refundable.