image of caduceus
Acupuncturist License Overview

Acupuncturists are licensed by the Texas State Board of Acupuncture Examiners (TSBAE) to practice acupuncture, which is defined as the insertion of an acupuncture needle and the application of moxibustion to specific areas of the human body as a primary mode of therapy to treat and mitigate a human condition, including the evaluation and assessment of the condition; and the administration of thermal or electrical treatments or the recommendation of dietary guidelines, energy flow exercise, or dietary or herbal supplements in conjunction with the treatment.

Before You Apply

Individuals considering applying for an acupuncturist license should use the links to the left to for more information about eligibility, the application process, and the required documentation and fees before submitting their applications. The TSBAE meets and grants permanent licenses three times per year.  A temporary license may be issued, if requested by the applicant, to allow the applicant to practice after the application has been approved by Board staff and until their permanent license is granted at the next Board meeting. Temporary licenses are issued at the discretion of the Executive Director and are valid for 100 days and may be extended for 30 days, if necessary.


Apply online using the link to the left. Depending on your answers, some of the questions on the application will require you to download a supplemental form and submit it.  Some of the forms must be sent to a third party, such as your acupuncture school.  Applicants must also take and pass the Jurisprudence Exam. More information can be found using the links under Apply at the left.

Your application will not be processed until all supplemental information is received.

Individual application processing time will vary based on the complexity of the application. Factors that increase the processing time are answering “yes” to any of the Professionalism questions on the application. 

Communication with the Board

Applications are submitted online, but additional information and supplemental forms may be submitted using the US Postal Service or a private overnight delivery service.  Board staff will communicate with applicants by e-mail, if an address is provided, or by letter using the US Postal Service.  For more information on submitting documentation see General Information link to the left.