Click the link above for detailed information on automatic extensions related to the disaster response.
To activate your license for the first time, you need to pay your first time registration fee within 90 days of your license issue date. To maintain an active license, you will need to renew your registration every two years.
Currently Surgical Assistants are not able to register online. Registration forms will be sent out to the mailing address on file at least 60 days in advance of the expiration date.
New criminal history background check requirement:
As of 9/1/2019, criminal history background checks through the Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are required prior to registration for current licensees. Detailed information is in the tabs and FAQs below.
If you have any questions, please contact the Registration Department at Registrations@tmb.state.tx.us .
FAQs related to the criminal history background check process.
Are the Surgical Assistants being singled out?
- Legislation (HB 1504) passed during the 86th session requires surgical assistants and acupuncturists to be fingerprinted. It is important to note that during the agency’s most recent Sunset review, Sunset staff identified the need for fingerprinting for each of these license types and ultimately recommended the statute change to lawmakers.
How much is it going to cost?
- The current fee for fingerprinting is $38.25. This fee includes the fingerprint vendor processing fee, DPS processing fee and FBI processing fee.
Does the fingerprinting fee benefit the TMB?
- There is no financial gain for the TMB. The TMB participates in the DPS contract with MorphoTrust USA for the digital fingerprint system for criminal background checks on applicants. This contract is maintained by DPS and applicants pay a fee directly to the vendor for fingerprint services. No portion of the fee comes to or through the TMB.
When do we have to do it?
- Fingerprinting for surgical assistants begins with the June 2020 renewal. June 2020 expiration dates were extended to August 2020 as part of the COVID-19 response. Licensees will receive advance notice as part of their renewal reminders.
Why do existing surgical assistants, who were fingerprinted upon initial licensure, have to be fingerprinted again?
- Applicants or licensees who were fingerprinted prior to 1/15/2018 are not part of the current FBI civil rap back system. At this time, the only way to ensure that individuals who were printed prior to this date have a full criminal history background check, is to submit fingerprints for evaluation.
What do I need to do to change the name I use professionally?
You must provide us with a statement that gives an explanation of your request, a completed Name Change Application form and a notarized copy of the legal document(s) that granted your name change, i.e. marriage license, divorce decree etc.
Can I give my change of address over the phone?
No. However, changes in mailing or practice addresses can now be updated online in most situations. For those license types that cannot use the online system, a Change of Address form is available, but not required. Information on the new Change of Address system is available at: http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/page/change-address
Can fees be refunded?
Refunds of application/registration fees are available in very limited circumstances. These fees may be refunded in cases of administrative error by the TMB; applicants who withdraw their applications within 45 days of initial application, licensees who retire or request cancellation within 90 days of paying the fee, or on behalf of applicants/licensees who die within 90 days of paying the fee. A pro-rated refund may be requested for good cause by a spouse or personal representative of an applicant/licensee who has died more than 90 days after paying the application/registration fee. Refund circumstances are addressed in Board rule 175.5(c).
Do I need to send copies of my CME certificates with my registration?
No. You will need to provide these documents if you are selected in a random CME audit conducted after each registration period or if you receive a written request from Board staff to present these documents.
Is there a reduced fee for military licensees?
No, there is not. However, military personnel, with questions regarding registration or permits, who are being deployed, should contact the TMB.
Are there any exemptions to the CME requirement?
Yes. A licensee may request in writing an exemption for catastrophic illness, military service of longer than one year's duration outside the United States, residence of longer than one year's duration outside the United States, or good cause shown that gives satisfactory evidence to the board that the licensee is unable to comply with the requirement for CME. Exemption requests should be submitted in advance of the expiration date of a licensee's permit.
I just got my license this year. Do I have to complete CME before I register?
If your pro-rated initial registration is for less than 12 months, you are exempt from the CME requirement until your subsequent registration.
Is the registration payment due before the expiration of a license?
Yes. The completed registration application and payment are due on or before the expiration date of the permit. However, you should allow at least 5 working days for the processing of the form, the fee and posting to the computer system.