As a prerequisite for acupuncturist registration, practitioners are required to complete continuing acupuncture education.
Acupuncturists need to complete at least 17 hours of continuing acupuncture education every 12 months. CAE hours should be counted from December 1 - November 30. The Approved Courses List gives four types of courses: General, Herbal, Ethics, Practice Management/General and Biomedicine as well as whether the course is offered as a live lecture, distance learning or the internet.
To ensure compliance with Board Rules, the 17 hours must include:
- at least 8 hours in General Acupuncture
- 1 hour in Ethics
- at least 2 hours in Herbology
- at least 1 hour of biomedicine, and
- no more than two of the required hours may be practice enhancement or business or office administration.
An acupuncturist must report on the registration permit application if she or he has completed the required CAE.
The required hours shall be from courses that are:
- designated or otherwise approved for credit by the Texas State Board of Acupuncture Examiners based on a review and recommendation of the course content by the Education Committee of the board,
- are offered by Approved Providers, have been approved for CAE credit for a minimum of 3 years by another state acupuncture board after having gone through a formal approval process,
- approved by the NCCAOM for professional development activity credit,
- provided outside the United States by a provider of continuing acupuncture education that are acceptable to the Board.
There is a maximum of 34 total excess credit hours that may be carried forward and a limit of two years from the date of the annual registration following the period during which the hours were earned. Excess hours are applied/reported according to their Category. See Board Rule 183.20 for additional information.
Documentation of CE courses shall be made available to the Board upon request, but should not be submitted with the registration. Random audits will be made to assure compliance.
If you have any questions regarding continuing education requirements, please email us at email@example.com .