As a prerequisite for acupuncturist registration, practitioners are required to complete continuing acupuncture education.
As of September 2018 Acupuncturist Registration/Renewal will begin the process of renewing biennially (every 2 years).
In order to stagger the roll out of the biennial renewals, all licensed Acupuncturists are being separated out into 2 groups. Licenses ending with an even number will register for 2 years in 2018. Licenses ending with an odd number will register for one year in 2018 and then register for two years in 2019. Once the roll out is complete, even license numbers will continue to renew in even years, and odd license numbers will renew in odd years.
For those who renew for one year in 2018:
- Acupuncturists need to complete at least 17 hours of continuing acupuncture education every 12 months. CAE hours should be counted from December 1 - November 30. The Approved Courses List gives five types of courses: General, Herbal, Ethics, Biomedicine and Practice Management/Business Administration as well as whether the course is offered as a live lecture, distance learning or the internet.
For those who renew for 2 years in 2018 (first round of biennial renewals):
- Moving forward acupuncturists will need to complete at least 34 hours of continuing acupuncture education every 24 months. CAE hours should be counted from December 1 2018 - November 30 2020. The Approved Courses List gives five types of courses: General, Herbal, Ethics, Biomedicine and Practice Management/Business Administration as well as whether the course is offered as a live lecture, distance learning or the internet.
Documentation of CE courses shall be made available to the Board upon request, but should not be submitted with the registration. Random audits will be made to assure compliance.
If you have any questions regarding continuing education requirements, please email us at email@example.com .
The required hours shall be from courses that meet at least one of the qualifications listed below:
- designated or otherwise approved for credit by the Texas State Board of Acupuncture Examiners based on a review and recommendation of the course content by the Education Committee of the board (see “Board Approved CAE Courses” tab below),
- are offered by Approved Providers (see “Board Approved CAE Providers” tab below),
- have been approved for CAE credit for a minimum of 3 years by another state acupuncture board after having gone through a formal approval process,
- approved by the NCCAOM for professional development activity credit, OR
- provided outside the United States by a provider of continuing acupuncture education that are acceptable to the Board.
A licensee may request in writing an exemption* for the following reasons:
- the licensee's catastrophic illness;
- the licensee's military service of longer than one year's duration;
- the licensee's residence of longer than one year's duration outside the United States; or
- good cause shown submitted in writing by the licensee that gives satisfactory evidence to the board that the licensee is unable to comply with the requirement for continuing education.
*Exemptions are reviewed on a case by case basis and must be requested in writing at least 30 days prior to the expiration date of the license. An exemption may not exceed one registration period, but may be renewed, subject to approval.
Board Approved CAE Courses
The courses on this list are the only individually approved CAE courses at this time. Courses are approved by the Board for three years. For additional information about these courses, please contact the providers directly.
List of Current Approved Courses: CAE Approved Courses
Board Approved CAE Providers
The CAE providers included on this list have been approved by the Board for a period of three years. All courses taken through these providers during their approval period can be used towards CAE requirements. The provider will advise you of the CAE hour categories the course entails, such as General, Herbal, Ethics, Practice Management/General and Biomedicine. For information on the courses available, please contact the providers directly.
List of Current Approved Providers: CAE Approved Provider Numbers